It’s always interesting to see how one can replicate the functionality of a known development environment ( the world of Java Web Apps in my case ) inside of a new environment, Rails. One of the exercises I was trying to mimic in Rails was having some traffic go over HTTP and some go over HTTPS.
There is a strong movement to have all traffic go over HTTPS but since it is a bit more costly ( ex: having SSL certs for a CDN so your images don’t pitch “unsecure” errors ) it is still nice to segregate the secure from the non secure parts of your application.
Below is a step-by-step guide to getting this configuration up and running. Pardon some of the brevity but some basic amount of Rails, Passenger and Apache knowledge is required.
I recently upgraded to the new version of OS X Mavericks and have been enjoying all the various new features ( power saving is pretty great ! ). But I found that my Mail.app was behaving strangely while connected to Exchange 2010. Specifically it was not retrieving new email messages. I had to shut down the app and restart it to get a flutter of emails coming in. This obviously was not very convenient.
Doing a bit of experimenting I found that the problem lies somewhere in the “retrieve emails automatically” setting. Not sure why ( console appears to have no good errors ) but it is the culprit.
So if you are experiencing the same problem do the following
Go to “Preferences”
Set the “Check for new messages” to “Every minute”
Watch email stream in
Here is a quick shot of the setting I was talking about